Effortless chicken and rice dinner
My dad drives truck over the road and so is out of town almost everyday. My mother raised five of us kids nearly alone and in the process learned to cook efficiently. Sometimes cooking for a family on a busy evening isn’t about speed so much as your quality of life and the time you get to spend with loved ones.
This meal takes 45 minutes or so but the effort is so minimal that it’s not a “real” 45 minutes. Trust me. (Or read ahead…it’s there, I swear.) It’s a very simple meal I’ve had in my back pocket for awhile now. Think about the incredible number of chicken and rice variations on this dish, too.
How many boxes does this tick? Healthy? Check. Easy? Check. Quick? Check. Light cleanup? Check. You knew you read this blog for a reason.
Effortless Chicken & Rice
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 1 cup white or basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can of mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Italian dressing
- Cube the chicken breast into bite sized bits and marinate in italian dressing.
- Place all ingredients except chicken in a microwaveable bowl. Mix well.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes in the microwave.
- Add chicken to bowl. Stir thoroughly.
- Microwave 5-7 more minutes until rice is completely done and chicken has warmed back up but not dried out.
I swear that’s all there is to it. When you pull it out just give it a stir, season it with a bit of salt & pepper and you’re done. Home cooked taste with very little effort and almost no dishes to clean. (Hint: in the 20 minutes this thing cooks you can help a kid with homework, send another to get a bath and pour yourself a drink. Just sayin’.)
Leave me a comment on how you modified this! (Think: different veggies, other broth, meats, more seasoning, garlic & herbs…)
Comment via Facebook or reply below
Tagged as: 2011 • blog • chicken • course • dinner • easy • family • food • food blog • food photographer • food photography • healthy • main dish • meal • microwave • pictures of food • quick • rice • Starting to Cook • StartingToCook • StC